Friday, January 7, 2011

grizzly bear images


brought Grizzly Bear's Yellow house home from the library after a particualrly dreary day at work, layed my head back agaist the couch cushion, and prepared to give it a first listen. I had stumbled upon a video of them performing a cover of the old Crystals doo-wop hit "he hit me (and it felt like a kiss)" and subsequntly a couple a cappella tracks a la the brilliant french video series "Blogotheque" aka "The Take Away Shows". Duly impressed, I decided to give the full length a try.


Lying there in the semi-dark, I let the flighty a cappella swoons wash over me. Slowly and softly the ghostly vocals and dreamy instrumentation seeped in, and I was able to forget for some significant bit of time that I was lying there in the dark defeated by a shitty day at work.


I suppose that escapism was a feeling I hadn't felt in some time, and I was thankful to GB for weaving this dreamscape so that I might loose myself in it like a dorthy being pulled up and away from a black and white Kansas below. Later, nearing the release of thier follow-up Veckatamist, I read an article which sited one of them stating that they hoped someone might listen to one of their albums and be able to forget where they were.



l suppose that escapism was a feeling I hadn't felt in some time, and I was thankful to GB for weaving this dreamscape so that I might loose myself in it like a dorthy being pulled up and away from a black and white Kansas below. Later, nearing the release of thier follow-up Veckatamist, I read an article which sited one of them stating that they hoped someone might listen to one of their albums and be able to forget where they were. This, from a band who is particularly cafeful about stepping on the toes of interpreters with mission/artistic statements. Needless to say I was all the more impressed.




Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...